Sunday, February 21, 2016

Molto Caldo Controlfiletto Di Manzo Salumi

This is one of my favorite Salumi's. I have made this a couple of times but never with this cut let alone being of Prime grade. Salumi filetto di manzo and Salumi lombo di manzo are my original recipes. Why the funky name? I like crazy funky names that's why. What does it mean? Molto Caldo (Very Hot) Controlfiletto (Sirloin) and Di Manzo ( Bovine aka Steer). I have noticed a trend with Beef Charcuterie taking on the Pork traditional names and I am not a fan. In most cases I try to come up with my own names. In the U.S for example there is Coppa, Cappicola or my favorite funky name Gabagoul pronounced Gaba-gool denotes a traditional Italian pork dry-cured muscle running from the neck to the 4th or 5th rib of the pork or shoulder or neck. My point is this; the beef counterparts should have their own unique names because it's beef not pork. When you hear Coppa you think of Pork not Beef. I made a Veal version of Pancetta but I came up with my own name. I did not call it Veal Pancetta. I name my original recipe Vealcetta and I am working on beef version called Bovicetta (Bovine). Ok, off my soap box.... at least for a while. 



Sirloin unsheathed from its plastic home and trimmed up just a little.








Since I have made this several times before I will keep this post short. If you want additional info click on the link above. Here's my list of ingredients. 


Salt & Cure #2 applied to every nook & cranny.

The heavy rub applied.






Dripped in Wine!!! I love wine!! All vacuumed sealed. The chunk of meat will be flipped everyday for 21 days. 







It's been a long 21 days but it's all cured and ready for the next step.








Combine and mix equal parts of Cayenne, Garlic, Smoked Paprika and Pepper and coat the Salumi. 






Tied to hold it's shape while drying. Place in UMAI bag to dry. 











I placed the Salumi on a rack inside my refrigerator with a little fan blowing to circulate the air. I also placed a bowl of salted water inside to generate some extra moisture. The extra moisture will prevent case hardening. 

The Green Weight was 2722g and needs to lose 30% it's original weight which equates to 816g loss which brings it down to 1906g. 




Well it's been almost 10 weeks and I am proud to say that I nailed it... My timing was perfect. Final weight of 1906g was achieved!!!!! All done...




Rope removed....only there to keep shape while drying. 


Meat vacuumed sealed in a normal bag to equalize. It will sit like this for a minimum 2 weeks. Equalizing just means that the moisture has a chance to distribute evenly through the meat. 



It's been about 2 1/2 weeks and she is ready to be sliced very very thin. Review at the bottom










Review- Amazingly good!!!! It's pretty spicy but if you like hotter you can always add more pepper. 


TOP OF THE PAGE








No comments:

Post a Comment