Sunday, February 11, 2018

Smoked Flat-Iron Steak


Something wild and crazy I came up with. I took 3 flat-irons and glued them together and smoked them. I used the same procedure outline HERE two years ago. I won't go into allot of detail here but if you're curious about the procedure for gluing just click on the link. 

 


Pick three Flat-Irons similar in size. 








Here's my recipe for the Cure. Using minced vs granulated is just a matter of preference. It does taste a little different from each-other. 


First Combine Salt and Cure #1.... throughly coat Flat-Irons. If you using whole black pepper corns grind them up using a spice mill and combine the rest of the ingredient's. Note: I combined the Black Pepper corns with the chipotle and gave them a quick whirl. 




Coat the Flat-Irons with the rub. Vac SEAL for at least 7 days to cure. Rotate them every day.







After the 7 day cure they were Cold Smoked for 10 hours. 







Glued together and Vac Sealed for 36 plus hours. You can see the procedure HERE




The Flatirons were Sous-Vided at 133 ℉ for 6 hours. 
I placed them on a rack and dried throughly with a paper towel. In addition I used a little fan to ensure drying. After about an hour I brushed on a minute amount of BBQ sauce which will allow the Rub to adhere.










A simple Rub that can be modified to suit your taste.  




Hot Smoked at 200℉ until Bark set.... 60 min.








Review- They came out pretty damn good. In retrospect I think I should have glued them first than cold-smoked them. Just a little bit to much smoke for my liking....although pretty damn good if I do say so myself. Also....at 6 hours they were awesome to slice. But I am using a professional slicer. If you attempt this and don't have an adequate slicer I would suggest cooking them for 10-12 hours. I sliced them very very thin. If you want to slice them thicker you will need to SV them for at least 9 hours regardless of the slicer machine you have. 










No comments:

Post a Comment