Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Jamocha Jerky

Another crazy Jerky from yours truly. This Jerky was inspired by my job. You see I am always tired and seeing that I work a lot of unusual shifts meaning they change every day I thought it would be fitting to create a Jerky that could help with sustained energy. Since I already drink a lot of coffee the thought crossed my mind about making a caffeinated Jerky. Coffee and Jerky....caffeine? Hmmm... sounds strange to me too. But can you use coffee as a base for Jerky? In the past I have used coffee grounds in some of my rubs and I make a great BBQ Chicken that has coffee in the recipe. With all that considered the Jamocha Jerky was born infused with lots of caffeine. 


A partially frozen Top Loin. As you know partially freezing make it easier to slice. Remember to slice across the grain. I actually had 3 of these bad boys.




All sliced and uniformed.



I used a lightly roasted coffee bean for the Jerky because they produce the most caffeine. I also decided to use the cold brewing method to create the coffee base. You might not know this but cold brew coffee is very concentrated and very low in acid...up to 70% less acid in most cases. There are many cold brew systems out there and having used both the Toddy and the OXO systems I would have to recommend the OXO.

To find out about my dehydration process CLICK HERE. Lot of more info at the bottom of the page HERE




Recipe as Follows
enough for 6-8 lbs of meat

2 cups of cold brew coffee
2 cups of Kahlua
1/4 of Hot Cocoa Mix
3% Salt
.25% of Cure #1 

A Ratio of.... 
Hot Cocoa Mix 3
Guarana  1.5 

Marinate for 24 hours. If the meat is in bags make sure to rotate bags occasionally.


Drain marinade from the meat and lay across your racks. 






Grade the Mexican Chocolate




Place the Mexican Chocolate, Guarana and the Hot Cocoa mix in shaker and thoroughly combine. 


Thoroughly coat the Jerky with the concoction you just put together above.


I dehydrated the Jerky for exactly 6 hours at 125 degrees. It came out perfect!! I will make again. If you want you can kick it up a notch or two by adding liquid smoke, or by cold smoking and or maybe adding some heat. Of course I Sous-Vide to pasteurize the meat. 




No comments:

Post a Comment