Saturday, March 24, 2018

Bacon- Chocolate Covered Raspberry Beef Bacon

I've been wanting to make this for quite some time but it required some thought. Obviously I need to decide which meat would work best for this Bacon treat. I am not a chocolatier either so I needed to do a little homework and see what chocolate would work well for this Bacon treat. I know this much about chocolate, in that tempered chocolate works well for candy glazes and it's probably the best to use!!!! Dang I didn't want to temper chocolate though….well at least not right now. Thankfully companies have made it easy for the consumer so I placed my order on Amazon. 

Anyhow I chose the brisket flat for the bacon. A few reasons…. first I don't eat treif (Un-Kosher meat) and secondly it does not contain a huge amount of fat so it won't shrink as much and it was available. This whole thing came about by chance. I was not planning on making chocolate bacon but I broke down a huge packer for another recipe called Kishke  and I was left with small flat. 



Just a simple recipe that requires very few ingredients. Heres my MAPLE BACON RECIPE. Combine the Salt, C #1 and Bacon Booster if using in a bowl. Combine Brown Sugar, Dextrose and Maple Sugar in another. Maple syrup in it's own bowl too. More links on how to make Bacon HERE.

Throughly coat flat with Salt/Cure mixture getting it into very nook and cranny. Coat with sugar mixture. Place in Vac bag or similar bag and pour in syrup. Place in refrigerator for 21 days flipping it every day.








After the 21 day cure I rinsed it off, dried with paper towel, placed on trivet, place small fan in front of the bacon to ensure drying. Drying the surface ensures a nice pellicle. Cold smoked for 12 hours. Slice to desired thickness. The slices weren't to thick and they weren't to thin either. On my Berkel it was set at a 2. 









Just about perfect. 


Fry Bacon up, cut to desired size, and pat dry.

In the following steps you have lots of options. Use or don't use a sweet spread. Add some Heat if you want to kick it up a bit too. Temper your own chocolate. If you own a Sous-Vide IC make sure to set at 90 f. I purchased commercially prepared chocolate for this application. Use your imagination and go crazy. 
Cannot get an easier than this….

Smear on some Raspberry Jam. Do not use preserves. 
And if you want to use 2 inch pieces. 
Kick it up a notch and add Chipotle powder. 








DAMN IS THIS GOOD….!!!!!!!!!

Update- 4/3/2018


 No temper chocolate 

 Using SV to Melt Chocolate 









No comments:

Post a Comment