Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Rumified Bacon Bomb


Rumified Bacon Bomb!!!!!!!

I was thinking the other day about Rum and all the great recipes that are made with it and I thought to my self why not bacon. If you can make Rum Balls with it why not bacon!!! Think about it for a moment Spice Rum and meat sounds like a match made in Heaven. Rum is great in anything. If it's good enough to drink it will be undeniably great in food. Anyhow that is my hope anyway. 



I decided to use boneless short ribs for this bacon because it contains lots of fat and is readily available. 

So what goes well with a Spiced Rum? After tasting the rum I came up with some ideas that I think will work. Spiced Rum reminded me of cookies. Hmm, that sparked an idea!! So I Googled spiced cookies and found recipes for Pumpkin, Ginger, Molasses and Spiced cookies. All these recipes were similar with just some minor ratio differences in their ingredients. So what is going to go in my bacon? I decided to use those same ingredients in my bacon. 

Note 1: The weight of meat plus fat is 100%. All ingredients to be added are expressed as a percentage of the weight of meat plus fat. Percentages can be used to standardize recipes regardless of batch size.  All weights are metric. 

Note 2: No weights are given because the weights of meats vary. Everything is a percentage of the meats weight after trimming. Example- Meat weight 2393 grams and we want to find out the amount of salt we need in grams- 2393 X 3.5%=83.755 or 2392/100 X 3.5 =83.755 grams. 


What makes my Rumified Bacon Bomb so unique is the ingredients. I used Muscovado Sugar  which is way better than brown sugar I think. It is used to make Rum which is why I chose it for this recipe   I also used Cassia Cinnamon Bark too. Ahh, and my secret weapon was the Spiced Rum of course.   

So what did I do?  I combined the Salt, Cure #1, and dextrose and rubbed it deep into the meat. 
I used a spice grinder and ground up the Cinnamon Bark, Whole cloves and Whole Allspice which is shown in the picture to the left. I combined the Dark Muscovado sugar and the now ground up Cinnamon, Cloves and Allspice and rubbed it into the meat. 



Meat Vacuumed sealed and will cure for 21 days. I will than cold smoke meat for 6 hours using Apple. 



All done curing and rinsed off. They are drying off to develop a Pellicle. Developing a good pellicle is important because it helps the smoke adhere to the meat during the smoking process. 


Getting ready to smoke the bacon with Apple on my Weber smokey mountain. 

Just started the Apple Smoke. I am cold smoking the Bacon with Applet pellets. The ambient temperature outside was about 55 degrees. I am using the A-MAZE-N cold smoker. 



The bacon smoked for 6 1/2 hours. Notice the difference in colors. Contrast the meat from where it started until now. 

Final thoughts. If you like spiced Rum you will love this Bacon. I will make it again!!!!!

Top of Page

No comments:

Post a Comment